Friday 27 September 2019

Riding through Puducherry

On the second day, we rented a 2 wheeler for a shockingly inexpensive amount of 250/24 hrs. That morning we drove to Auroville.
Watched the videos on how Auroville started after "Mother" who was a staunch follower of Aurobindo's ideals and how Matrimandir was built over those years.
The idea and philosophy really caught me. I liked the idea of the dream:
"There should be somewhere on earth a place which no nation could claim as its own, where all human beings of goodwill who have a sincere aspiration could live freely as citizens of the world and obey one single authority, that of the supreme Truth; a place of peace, concord and harmony where all the fighting instincts of man would be used exclusively to conquer the causes of his sufferings and miseries, to surmount his weaknesses and ignorance, to triumph over his limitations and incapacities; a place where the needs of the spirit and the concern for progress would take precedence over the satisfaction of desires and passions, the search for pleasure and material enjoyment..." and so even bought a poster of this and is now on our wall.

Their idea of life long learning, and teaching, progressing is commendable.
Walk to Matrimandir was fun. Having small stops to sit and chill, clicking pictures and pouring water on top of my head and inside my t-shirt to cool myself is how I spent the time.

That evening, we rode to Chinnaveerapatnam beach. A less explored beach where we could play heartfully in the water and had nice sea food from an amma who let us make this video as well.



Upon playing this again, I can smell it and mouth starts watering.
That evening ended with a nice ride back to guest house. At around 7:25 pm we attended a meditation session at Aurobindo Ashram. It was as quiet as it's ever been. People sat in dark in whatever posture and wherever they wished. No instructions and no rules. Silence was the only rule. For 45 min, I sat there. First concentrating on external sounds, thoughts, someone walking, then tried concentrating on my breath. As hard as it was I went back to my idea that meditation might mean different to different people. We can choose what it means to us. I often take the easy route and imagine myself being outside of me. And then look at the thoughts that way. This time helped me reflect on certain problems and decisions I was struggling with. Was quite an experience. During the whole session, I was afraid that Akshay would have been in deep meditation and was thinking of how to disturb him. Looked like he was indeed in deep sleep :P

That night we walked and sat along the beach because, well, it's one of the only things you do in Pondi.

Next day we visited some more places, Aurodhan art gallery where photography was on display, Aurobindo hand made paper factory where we could see the various steps with fascinated eyes. https://www.pondylive.com/ is a website that gives info of the events, shows, galleries happening in Pondi at the time.


We had an expensive lunch at a French Restaurant, Crepe in Touch.



That night we gave back the two wheeler and took the early morning bus to Thiruvannamalai for our next destination.


No comments:

Post a Comment